}

Monday, March 19, 2012

My 52 Week Project : Week 11 {motion}

Week eleven’s theme was motion...and it was really hard!  Hence the reason I’m REALLY late with my submission!  I tried just slowing my shutter speed down while shooting different subjects, but I wasn’t getting the effect I was looking for and I was getting really frustrated.  I thought about trying panning, but I couldn’t think of a good subject to try it on - I don’t think my daughter would be able to follow directions well enough at this age.
It was well past the submission “deadline” when I remembered reading about implying motion while zooming in Bryan Peterson’s book Understanding Exposure.  I thought it sounded like fun and I didn’t even have to have a moving subject.  All you have to do to imply motion while zooming with your camera is slow your shutter speed down long enough so that you can zoom your lens before it takes the picture.  Once you have your shutter speed slow enough (you may need to do a little trial and error with your settings) and you’ve got your exposure set correctly, then hit the shutter and quickly zoom your lens - either in or out, whichever is the opposite of how you started.  It’s not that difficult once you do it a couple times.  
The subject matter in my photo isn’t amazing, but I like the effect.  Now that I’ve tried this new technique, I think I will look for more interesting subjects to try it on and see what I can come up with!




No comments:

Post a Comment