}

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I sewed my first pillow cover ... and Rylan’s big girl bedroom design ideas

This weekend I sewed my very first pillow cover.  I already had a pillow form that had an ugly cover on it, so I just made a new one!  My in-laws were here this past weekend and my mother-in-law helped me with the pillow cover.  She walked me through it and was there for me to ask questions of, but didn’t really do any of the work.  Which I’m really happy about.  I learn best by doing things myself and having someone there to bounce questions and ideas off of.

Here is the pillow!  

And here is the back.



I’m so happy with how it turned out!  As you can see in the backside picture, I made an envelope cover, and it was surprisingly easy.  I followed this tutorial which was very straight forward and easy to understand.
This pillow will go in my daughter, Rylan’s room.  She is 21 months old and we are starting to transition her to a “big girl” room.  I don’t know what the normal age is for that, but we feel like she’s ready.  We took the side off her crib two and a half months ago and she’s been doing great in it, so we think she’s ready for a big girl bed.  We just have to find the right one at a garage sale or something so that I can paint it and make it special just for her!  
Which brings me to the design scheme for her room.  I originally saw this first picture on Pinterest and just fell in love with the colors.




I think the dark pink in the inspiration might end up being red in Rylan's room, but I'm okay with that.

Here's another room I really liked!

I just love this color combination and I think we can make it work, in our own way, for Rylan’s room.
To start off, we have the fabric I used on the pillow which is called Shine On Americana by Waverly.  It has red, light blue, navy, and cream in it.  We’re just missing the pink.


waverly americana fabric

I think I’ll bring my swatch back to the fabric store one of these days and see if I can find some coordinating fabrics to go with it.  And I need to find bedding that brings everything together.  The fabric is always the hardest part for me.  I guess I get scared and overwhelmed by all the choices and I think I’m going to pick the wrong ones.  
What part of a room design is the hardest for you?  Is fabric easy for you to pick out or do you struggle with it like me?





I'm linking up to the following blogs to share my project!

Freckled Laundry - {air your laundry friday} Textile Party
it all started with paint - pillowpalooza link party

6 comments:

  1. I have problems picking everything out! I so needed you yesterday at Kohl's when I was trying to pick out some rugs for the bathroom downstairs. I was laying towels on the floor, etc. And I still struggle with the decision. Hopefully, I did ok. Even if things aren't so expensive, mentally they tax me every time! Anyway, I did it, so hopefully when you visit you can tell me if you like it. Last night I was just looking for a wastebasket for the guest room and ran out of luck there too. I think I need some fresh ideas ... maybe at Michael's. Anyway I miss you as my personal home decorator and as my daughter living closer! You are not alone, I think even the most gifted decorators struggle with decisions, but do you think I'm wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...because I think you are gifted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you ... sometimes I get so caught up in the fabrics that it can become paralyzing!

    And your first pillow came out famously! Isn't it just so satisfying?

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on your first pillow cover! Love your room inspiration. Featured this tonight! Thanks for sharing with air your laundry friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete