}

Monday, April 23, 2012

I'm Still Here!


Hey guys!  Yeah, I’m still here.  I know I haven’t posted in a while, but I’ve had a lot going on lately.  I have been doing a lot of work on myself from an emotional standpoint and let me tell ya, it’s exhausting.  But it will be well worth it in the end...just gotta keep pushing through!

On a brighter note, this year my husband and I decided to use our tax return money on improving the inside of our house, so we’ve been busy with that.  So far we’ve taken out the carpet in the living room which revealed hardwood floors that are in pretty darn good shape.  I know that part is free...but the rest isn’t!  We’ve also moved our old couch down to the basement and our new couch upstairs.  The new couch had an off white cover on it, but when it came upstairs, there was just too much activity with the cats, dog, our daughter, and us sitting on it all the time, that we decided to buy a dark gray cover for it to hide the spills, dog hair, etc!  It gives the couch a little more of a modern look than I’d like, but overall I really like the color and the fact that I don’t constantly see imperfections and feel like I have to wash it every 24 hours!

My husband took down the wallpaper and fake cove moulding in the entryway and it is looking better already.  The ceiling in the entry way looks so much taller!  I can't wait to see what the living room will look like when we take it down in there, too.  My husband and I were talking about it the other day and we both agreed that we like coved ceilings in old houses and think they are an interesting and fun design element used back in the day.  We don't, however, like fake cove moulding made to look like a coved ceiling.  It just looks cheap and actually makes the room look smaller.  It really makes no sense!  Okay...on to the next subject!  ;)

We’ve also taken down the awful drapes in the living room and we got a new rug because the doggy had no soft place to lie once we took the carpet up.  Poor thing!  I think we are headed to the store today to find some blinds to cover up our huge window so that the neighbors can’t see our every move.  And then we just need to decide on curtains to flank the sides of the windows and that part of the project will be done.  Oh, and we bought two chairs last night online to put in our living room and I’m really excited to get them!  I finally feel like this house is going to look like we live here, ya know?!

Here are a few before and "after" pictures.  They're more "progress" pictures than "after" pictures.  Oh, and sorry about the crappy quality of the before pictures.  Turns out they were all too dark and most of them are shaky.  I guess I was in a hurry on moving day or something!  And the after photos...well, I'm keeping it real and showing you our daily mess.  Our house is crazy right now with toys and tools all around us.  At least the toys get cleaned up at night...well, most nights!

Before - Living room/window wall (notice the yucky old drapes and carpet)
Progress so far - Living room/window wall (removed the drapes and fixing up the window...it was all jacked up!  And...no more carpet...just a rug!)

Before - Living room/green wall

Progress so far - Living room/green wall (can't wait to paint this room and cover up that awful green!)

Before - Entry way (Weird random moulding and awesome wallpaper)

Before - Entry way

Progress so far - Entry way (vertical and cove moulding  and wallpaper all removed, primed and ready for paint...eventually!)

Progress so far - Entry way/living room


Next on the agenda is painting all the doors and trim white and this summer we are hoping to remodel our main bathroom...because it really needs it!  Can you say MOLD?!  Yuck!  I’ll be back along the way to show you how things are progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment